225g self raising flour
pinch of salt
25g caster sugar
150ml oz milk
1 free-range egg, beaten
- Heat oven to Gas Mark 7. Grease a baking sheet ready for the scones
- Mix together the flour and salt then hand rub in the butter, use cold fingertips for best effect
- Put the mixture into the KitchenAid bowl and mix in the sugar
- Add the milk gradually to form a soft dough
- Once the dough is formed, lay out on a floured surface and knead lightly for a couple minutes. Don’t over-knead the dough! This will make the scones tough
- Flatten the dough so it is just under an inch in thickness. Using a small sized cookie cutter shape of your choice, cut the dough and place on the baking sheet, rolling out so you don’t waste any!
- Brush the dough with the egg-wash
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until risen and golden
- Leave to cool slightly on a wire rack, and then fill up with jam and cream for the ultimate decadent treat!
For the perfect accompaniment, check out the Pimms recipe on our Wimbledon feature here, and take your picnic to Henman Hill!
Grab the essentials:
So here lies the million dollar question: which comes first, jam or cream?