Rhubarb almond cake
- 175g sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g plain flour
- 2 large or 3 medium-sized eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200ml plain or Greek yogurt
- 350g rhubarb
- 100g ground almonds
- 3 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- Icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, fan 160˚C, gas mark 6 and line a springform tin with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the butter and the sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and whisk for a few minutes. Pour the yogurt into the mixture, followed by the almond extract, and give it a good stir.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt; add this to the wet mixture and mix well.
4. Spoon half the batter into the tin and spread it to the edges. Cover with just over a half of the rhubarb, lightly pressing it into the batter and keeping it away from the edges.
5. Spread the rest of the batter on top and finish with the remaining rhubarb, then sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
6. Bake in the centre of the oven for around 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and dust with a little icing sugar. Serve warm with custard or ice cream.