Braised chipotle chicken
This warming Mexican-style recipe, courtesy of Le Creuset, is so easy to make - a great option for a simple, weekday dinner. Packed with rich, smoky flavours, you can eat it on its own or served with tortilla wraps and rice.
- 2 red onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 100g carrots
- 100g potatoes
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- 3 teaspoons chipotle paste (or 2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika)
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses or dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 lime
- 800g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 4 sprigs coriander
- Salt and pepper
- Tortillas and rice to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Slice the onions and garlic, and dice your potatoes and carrots into cubes.
2. Scatter three quarters of the sliced onions into your dish, followed by the potatoes, carrots and garlic. Place the chicken thighs evenly across the dish and season well with salt and pepper.
3. Mix the chipotle paste with the molasses, ground coriander and juice from the lime in a bowl. Coat the chicken thighs with a teaspoon of the mixture, saving the rest for later.
4. Pour the tomatoes evenly around dish and finish with a drizzle of the remaining chipotle mixture.
5. Place your dish in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when the sauce is bubbling and the chicken has browned on top.
6. To serve, scatter the remaining onions over the top and sprinkle with fresh coriander.