That’s right ladies and gents, the nation’s favourite show is finally back! The Great British Bake Off returns tonight on BBC2 and it got us so excited that we decided to share one of our own cake recipes: a delicious and oh-so-easy vanilla sponge cake with vanilla buttercream icing and strawberries. Bake it today and enjoy this sweet treat whilst watching this year’s contestants baking Marry Berry’s technical Angel Food Cake…
Vanilla Sponge Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Icing
For the cake:
180g self-raising flour, sifted
180g caster sugar
180g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
3 medium egg whites
1 vanilla pod or 1 tea spoon or pure vanilla extract
A handful of strawberries or any other fruits for topping
For the Vanilla Buttercream Icing
80g unsalted butter
250g icing sugar, sifted
25ml whole milk
A couple of drops of pure vanilla extract
Items required for this recipe
|Kitchen Craft Scale||Shabby Chic Mixing Bowl||Linea Round Cake Tin|
|Linea Cooling Rack||KitchenAid Stand Mixer||Joseph Joseph Spoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease 2 round cake tins
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until fluffy or until white soft peaks begin to form. Put it to the side.
3. Mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla pod or vanilla extract.
4. Add and fold the egg yolks very carefully so it adds air to the mixture.
5. Add the flour and fold again.
6. Add the fluffy egg whites and slowly fold them into the mixture.
7. Divide the mixture between the 2 cake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Leave the cakes to cool on a cooling rack.
8. Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a stand mixer (or hand mixer).
9. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and vanilla extract together, then add to the butter mixture, a couple of teaspoons at a time.
10. Continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
11. Spread the vanilla buttercream on one side of the cake and place the other on top carefully.
12. Spread the remaining buttercream on top and add any topping you’d like, we’ve chosen strawberries and girly sprinkles.